Tree New Mexico is dedicated to helping communities plant and care for trees in urban areas — large and small — throughout The Land of Enchantment.
Organizational History and Goal
For over 30 years Tree New Mexico (TNM) has been planting trees in the Land of Enchantment and educating the public on the value and necessity of healthy urban forests. We continue to be the premier private, non-profit tree planting organization in NM (and the nation); planting thousands of trees each year and building a high level of understanding and advocacy for the expansion and maintenance of urban forests.
Tree New Mexico was initially formed out of concern for the environment by local high school students on the premise that tree planting is an important and worthwhile national and community goal. Since our founding in 1990, our partners and volunteers have helped plant over 1,250,000 trees in communities throughout New Mexico. Sue Probart, Founding Director and now Board Emeritus, ran TNM for the better part of 30 years. She is generally known in NM as “Ms. Tree” and as the reason we have urban forestry at all.
- Build strong and effective partnerships with all levels of public and private organizations.
- Increase the canopy of urban and community forests throughout New Mexico.
- Provide environmental tree-based education for citizens of all ages.
- Serve as an urban and community forestry advocate.
- Mitigate and reverse urban heat island effect in urban areas of the state.
- Build public awareness regarding trees and the environmental role they play in our communities and the nation.
Tree New Mexico
Board of Directors
Founder and Board Member Emeritus
James A. Maddox
Member of the Board
Tree New Mexico Staff
Training and Program Development Director
Assistant Program Manager
We plant trees to keep New Mexico clean, beautiful & healthy.