ABQ NeighborWoods is a collaboration between Tree New Mexico, the City of Albuquerque, New Mexico State Forestry, Southwest Tree Specialists, local tree growers, neighborhood leaders, and local landscape architects to enhance our urban forest.
- Provides funding, training, and consulting professionals for neighborhood members in order to plant 100 street trees and perform tree giveaways of 100 small trees in each neighborhood!
- Albuquerque lost 2.7% of its tree canopy over a 3-year period, one of the highest losses in the country during the study. Many neighborhoods are below the city average.
- With 85% of Albuquerque’s trees located on private property and on business sites, the connection to homeowners is vital for enhancing and growing our urban forest.
TREE PLANTING VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FALL 2021:
Aug 28: La Mesa Neighborhood https://cabq.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=594257
Sept 18: Netherwood Neighborhood https://cabq.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=594254
Oct 16: Hodgins and McKinley Neighborhoods https://cabq.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=594249
Nov 6: Singing Arrow Neighborhood https://cabq.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=594203
Some Specific Program Information:
- Our goal is to create an impact with clusters of trees. We can plant anywhere within 20 feet back from the street. Often we can plant in front and side yards if they are accessible.
- There are usually 8+ varieties of street trees that will be available
- Property owners must sign an Agreement with the City. Tree-Bates will be available.
Benefits of Trees:
- Cool cities, save water! They slow down evaporation and increase atmospheric moisture
- Trees have a direct relationship to improving community health
- Slow Traffic
- Conserve energy (can reduce summer cooling costs by 50%)
- Increase home values (up to 15%)
- Reduce crime
Please contact your Albuquerque City Councilor and tell them you would like to bring the ABQ NeighborWoods program to your neighborhood!
ABQ NeighborWoods Neighborhoods
Downtown Neighborhood Association
John B Robert
Juan Tabo Hills
Route 66 West
South San Pedro